I AM My Supervisor!

เขียนโดย montana | 17:39

There is a scene in the very interesting movie, "Crash," where a character played by Matt Dillon demands to speak to someone's supervisor.

Having some good personal reasons to resist this demand, the person he's speaking to replies: "I AM my supervisor!"

It's arrogant, a power play, and not what we expect from someone who is in a customer service capacity.

Because of the dramatic tension that has been established between the characters, we can relate to her stonewalling. She actually has a reason to resist--to say, no, you're going to have to deal with ME, buddy!

But usually, blockades like this are harmful, and they degrade everybody associated with a customer conflict.

I recall the time I was trying to withdraw some cash from a savings account. The teller, who may or may not have been having a bad day, hassled me. I remarked:

"This is not my idea of great customer service."

She shot back: "I'll have you know, I give GREAT customer service!"

Finally, the transaction was completed, but the defensive nature of the exchange stayed with me, and it may have festered in her.

Which, of course, is too bad.

There was a time when I learned that "The customer is always right."

This expression is not, technically, correct, as we all know.

The guy, who tried to return a truck tire to Nordstrom, for a complete refund, was not in the right. Nordstrom never sold truck tires, so his claim to a refund was bogus.

Yet, he got a refund, nonetheless, because that department store believed in the idea that, for practical purposes, he's right.

Why argue, creating ill will, and losing any chance at his future patronage?

At least once, when I have asked for someone's supervisor, the next person on the line definitely sounded like a peer, not someone in charge.

I asked, "Are you really a supervisor; does he report to you?" to which I received a reply that indicated he wasn't, after all.

He misrepresented his status to protect his pal.

The unstated law of business is this: Everybody answers to somebody else. And if he refuses to answer to customers, to uphold the tacit agreement that the customer is always right, then he'll have his day of reckoning.

It's called, accountability. Without it, government officials and company insiders are out of line.

Someone may escape accountability today, through stonewalling, misrepresentation, or intimidation. But sooner or later, the marketplace will punish him.

Because, ultimately, the customer always IS right.

Recommend : Best Review Blog Online

0 ความคิดเห็น